Tuesday, June 9, 2009

In the beginning...


I found this NSX in the fall of 2005 at GTA Leasing in Toronto. It was a stock 1992 lease car, originally from Quebec, and had been through 3 previous owners. It had 89,990 kms on the odometer. It had a number of strikes against it, which was why it sat in the showroom for over a year and nearly universally panned by the local NSX owners as damaged goods. First of all, it was in snap ring range (a manufacturer defect which made early NSX prone to tranny failure), it was a theft recovery vehicle (stripped and given a salvage title in its previous history), and it had a previous accident. Perfect!

I was looking to buy a low buck NSX with the express interest to either mod the piss out of it or use it as a track toy, so this was pretty well what I was looking for. I made the call, stopped by on a weekend when I was in town and checked the car out. Overall it was surprising clean. The damage was shown, mainly in the front driver's side bumper. The car was raised and I inspected the work done and welds with a friend who worked with airplanes and therefore familiar with aluminum. It was not perfect but the suspension and chassis were straight, and for the price I was convinced. Unfortunately the car came with a ugly set of 3 piece DP Enduros with mismatched Yokohama/Kumho tires, some kind of ricey Batman LED alarm light on the dash, and suspect aftermarket wiring. Seats were in great shape and carpet was clean, although it had a gash along the passenger footwell presumably made for a sub that didn't come with the car.
Regarding price, they accepted my 1989 R32 Skyline GTR as an almost direct trade. Being the owner of GTRCanada.com I knew the flood of RHD cars was coming soon, so this was my last chance to get a very high resale on a "rare" jdm supercar so I bit.

The NSX arrived in Jan 2006 on a car carrier, covered in salt and grime. First thing I did was throw on a set of expired plates and drove it to the local coin op car wash to hose her down.

I couldn't believe it...after 15 years of lust, I finally had my jdm supercar.

No comments:

Post a Comment